When COVID19 hit North America on March 12, 2020, all event planners and meetings industry suppliers around the world felt the gut-wrenching pain that came with canceled meetings. Most meeting planners had to navigate uncharted territory, and watched their hard work go down the drain. It would be enough to curl up on the couch with a bucket of cookies and watch Netflix.
But not these #eventprofs! There are a number of phenomenal examples of meeting and event planners that rose to the challenge and added value to the industry.
Today we’re celebrating a few of these amazing individuals. These planners are inspirational, hard-working and resilient. I’m blessed to have them as my friends.
So who are these amazing people? Watch the video below, and read here about their accomplishments:
- Jenny Ring, CMP – Sr. Sales Manager, Cineplex – Groups and Events and Director of Events, PCMA Canada West – Jenny took PCMA Canada West’s Cold Drinks, Hot Topics monthly meeting, and went virtual! But this wasn’t just an ordinary “virtual meeting”, it included gamification, a cocktail competition, and a mixologist special guest. Her creativity and positivity is what I love about Jenny. She’s bringing her positivity to this time.
- Anh Nguyen, CMP– Principal & Founder, Spark Event Management and Director of Membership, PCMA Canada West – it all started with a tweet. It may have been a simple tweet that started the #gmidgoesvirtual movement, but it was her leadership and organization that empowered the volunteer committee of 50 people to deliver an unprecedented virtual event to over 12,500 industry professionals. She continues to create new initiatives during this time with her work with the Arise Event Collective. Nothing will stop Anh!
- Miguel Neves – Chief Digital Strategist at miguelseven.com and MPI’s International Board of Directors – When the “tweet that changed the meetings world” went out, Miguel answered the call. Miguel was pivotal in creating the poll and content for #gmidgoesvirtual, bringing his experience, advocacy and industry diplomacy to the project. Thanks for all that you do for the industry Miguel!
- Shawn Cheng – Project Manager, MCI Group Canada and President, PCMA Canada West Chapter – Shawn is a big reason why I joined PCMA Canada West. Shawn is a go-getter and do-er, and he contributed to the #gmidgoesvirtual project on a multitude of levels. He brought together all the participating associations to the project, too many to list here! Thank you Shawn for bringing the industry together on this one project!
- Heather Reid, ARCT MSc – Founder & CEO, Planner Protect Inc. – When planner started to pivot their events, Heather found the opportunity to share their stories! Her project includes a multitude of interviews with planners about their experiences around canceling events, changing events, and all the struggles and successes that came with that.
Very honourable mentions and shout outs go to ALL the meeting and event professionals that lent their talents and time to the #gmidgoesvirtual project . You can view that extensive list of incredible volunteers here.
I highly admire and respect any event planner that can thrive in adversity, and there are so many great examples of those that are stepping forward and not shrinking back at this time.
RELATED – Staying Productive During COVID19