One of my favourite things to do in the summer is wine-touring, and given I live in wine country, I tend to do it quite often. If anyone asks, I’m there to do it! But not everyone is as lucky as me to live in a place where hundreds of wineries are within a 2 hour driving radius, and wine touring can become a fun and exciting excursion, especially if tied to a meeting or a conference. Wine touring has become a great way to incorporate social activities, offsite dinners and spousal programs into our events. If you’re not as lucky as me to live in wine region, chances are you need to source out some hotels in Canada near wineries to add this element to your conference programming.
Here is a list of some of my favourite hotels in Canada near wineries for meeting planners to consider when looking at incorporating wine touring into their programs:
- Delta Hotels by Marriott Grand Okanagan, Kelowna BC – this hotel sits right on the waters of Lake Okanagan and boasts its own wine experience centre! A recent renovation included a phenomenal restaurant, Oak + Cru (complete with a sunny patio and pizza oven). This is a fantastic venue for groups up to 400 people with breakouts (ballroom can seat 1000 in rounds)
- Prince of Wales, Niagara-on-the-lake – This stunning hotel sits in the charming town of Niagara-on-the-lake in the heart of Niagara wine country. With 100+ guest rooms and ~7500 square feet of meeting space, its ideal for groups up to 75 people.
- Spirit Ridge in the Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Osoyoos BC – This beauty is in the hot, hot, hot destination of Osoyoos (2 hours south of Kelowna) at the tip of the Sonoran desert. Nk’Mip Cellars is right on-site, and the suites all feature kitchenettes and patios for you to enjoy your wine!
- Westin Bear Mountain, outside Victoria BC – This resort is located 30 minutes from downtown Victoria (and 40 minutes from the airport) and features 2 Nicklaus-designed golf courses. Relax in Bella, their onsite restaurant, or book a private event in their Wine Cellar!!
- Halifax, NS – this emerging wine region in the Annapolis Valley is soon to become a bucket list destination for wine connoisseurs the world over! Larger groups can find a home at places like the Westin Nova Scotian, the Halifax Convention Centre and the Halifax Marriott Harbourfront. Smaller intimate groups may prefer the Lord Nelson or Prince George hotels.
What are some of YOUR favourites? Email me and I’ll ensure they are added to the list! Enjoy the summer folks, it goes by in the blink of an eye!
RELATED – Hotels with HOT Summer Patios!