Now more than ever, delegates are looking to their meetings and conferences as a blend between business and pleasure, tacking on extra days to enjoy the region since they’re in town for the conference anyways. Often, this also increases spousal attendance and families are often in tow to your conferences as your delegates’ loved ones enjoy the region while they’re in your event.
As such, planning your next event around local festivals in Canada may be a great way to increase your event’s attendance. Here are some of Canada’s most popular #bucketlist festivals to consider for your next conference:
Hosting in Meeting in Conjunction with Festivals in Canada:
- Edmonton, AB – Fringe Festival in August – this festival is an absolute BLAST! And what exactly is fringing? According to their website, if you’re on the Festival grounds, you’re fringing. Fringing is about jumping in feet-first, taking creative chances, and choosing your own adventure. It’s about creating new traditions and embracing old one. It’s taking a journey that YOU get to shape. Sounds like a perfect fit for meeting planners 🙂
- Montreal, QC – Jazz Festival in July – a great way to entertain your delegates in the evening is to incorporate the local jazz festival.
- Quebec City, QC – Winter Carnival in February – this is a #bucketlist for any Canadian, and any trip to Quebec City in the winter would not be complete without a trip to Quebec’s one-of-a-kind Hotel de Glace
- Calgary, AB – Calgary Stampede – The Greatest Outdoor Show in the World is a must-see for locals and tourists alike. Something for everyone, including deep-fried Oreo cookies, agricultural exhibits, beer tents, bucking bulls, and more drugstore cowboys than you can shake a stick at.
- Toronto, ON – Toronto International Film Festival – talk about a festival that has exploded in recent years, TIFF is where to be if you want to run into already-established, and up-and-comers in the film industry. The energy in the city’s core is incredible!
Leanne’s Note – Ask the destination and hotels how your pricing is effected in and around festival time. You should be able to uncover some savings if your program has some flexibility in pattern and format.
Planning your event around a festival is a FANTASTIC way to engage delegates and create energy around your event, if you haven’t considered incorporating festivals into YOUR meetings, this may be the way to infuse new energy and create some #bucketlist experiences for your delegates.
As always, Stephen and I are here to help you navigate destinations for your events; give us a call and let us help you with the prep work. Here’s to fantastic meetings!
RELATED – Hotels with Great Summer Patios
RELATED – Destination Quebec City
RELATED – Canadian Wine Regions and Hotels